What is Larta?
Larta Institute is a mission-driven innovation accelerator We identify, nurture and scale new science and technologies that “feed, fuel and heal the world”. For 27 years, we have supported entrepreneurs around the world, helping them bring their life-changing products to a constantly-evolving marketplace.
At Larta, we are…
Lifelong Learners and Leaders
Ambitious and Adaptable
Resourceful and Respectful
Team Players and Trustworthy
Altruistic and Accountable
We are seeking a highly-motivated graduate with a passion for science and an abiding interest in mission-based entrepreneurship to join the Larta team. This fellowship is designed for the graduate looking to participate meaningfully in assisting with the growth and development of scientific or technical innovations that have impact on the world. It may involve, for e.g., advising on development of a sustainable business model; in analyzing the specific impact of technologies Larta engages with across the spectrum from food and agriculture, energy, biosciences & healthcare and marine and ocean technologies; and creating meaningful marketing and communications strategies related to the mission of promoting a more sustainable planet.
We are targeting those individuals who can work effectively in a virtual environment and for whom this meets their professional development objectives. In the course of the 6-9 month engagement, a Fellow will work on several projects, providing insights, doing market research, learning about new technologies in science-based industries and participating in strategic and tactical efforts. Candidate’s major areas of study and interests should align with our organizational mission and culture. Given Larta’s national and global reputation, body of knowledge and networks of influence, the Ideas, Energized Fellowship itself is an honor that should be considered a mark of excellence.
What will you do?
As a Fellow, you should be able to sift quickly through written material on the innovations we serve, write clear, non-technical summaries, analyze challenges in the sector or area of the science in question, and assist the team to address programmatic challenges. Excellent analytical, verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills are necessary. The Larta Fellow will provide strategic support to Larta’s programs and operational teams in the following ways:
What would my day look like during the Fellowship?
- Work on execution and continual improvement of programs with Larta’s science-based teams: Energy, Food and Agriculture (Sustainability) and the Life Sciences
- Consult, as needed with operational areas of the organization, including IT and Marketing & Brand Strategy.
- Help prepare written reports covering such areas as market size, competition, intellectual property, and partnering strategies for Larta’s portfolio of emerging and established startups.
- Conduct, collect, and interpret survey results including impact and other metrics
- Attend and participate in scheduled webinar series and group meetings
- Assist in conceptualization and planning of podcasts and events that Larta has or intends to host.
- Communicate with high-level members within Larta’s networks (e.g. mentors, grantees, clients, subject matter experts, and industry).
What skills and experience does Larta require?
- Currently enrolled in a Graduate or Doctoral degree program; science or business-related field.
- Familiarity with vocabulary, concepts and theories of innovation, entrepreneurship and international development preferred. Some exposure to entrepreneurs, accelerators or incubators would be a plus.
- Commitment to fellowship for 6-9 months; longer commitments preferred
- Available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Office 365, specifically Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Skilled at data analytics and presenting data with graphs, charts, and other tools
- Strong presentation skills and professional presence
Hourly Pay Rate: $18.00
Openings: Ongoing Opportunity
Employment Status: Fellowship
How to Apply
Please send a customized cover letter outlining your background and suitability for this position with Larta and a resume highlighting your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit with the following subject line: Ideas Energized Fellowship.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion
Larta is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.