Position Title: Head (Director) of Brand, Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Executive Leadership
Location: Los Angeles (HQ in Downtown LA)
About Larta Institute
Larta Institute is a non-profit organization accelerating innovation & entrepreneurship.
Our mission is to foster science & technology innovation for a sustainable planet.
Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy & healthcare systems. New science & technology plays a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world.
Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, as California’s regional technology alliance to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research & innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA.
Today, our innovation platform & ecosystem accelerates new science & technology from idea to sustainable enterprise – by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding.
We have helped over 6,000 startups, and our alumni have raised over $5BN in funds.
Together, let’s feed, fuel, and heal the world.
The new position of Head of Brand, Marketing & Communications will lead daily hands-on planning & execution of Larta’s community engagement activities to meet strategic organizational, program & product, and brand objectives. The primary responsibility of the Head of BMC will be to lead Larta’s marketing & communications activities to engage Larta’s diverse ecosystem with its accelerator programs & products – including startup founders, government agencies, academia, investors, foundations, mentors, and industry. The Head of BMC role is critical in manifesting Larta’s new identity across the organization & community – to drive tangible and measurable impact of Larta’s program & product offering, to accelerate aspiring startup founders, and to foster science & technology innovation for a sustainable planet.
What we offer
Larta Institute offers a competitive and attractive compensation and benefits package, as follows:
- Full-time employment within a mission-driven, non-profit organization.
- An open, diverse & inclusive culture, with a commitment to job stability and personal growth.
- Opportunities dedicated to personal and professional development.
- Annual performance bonus potential.
- Paid vacation, holiday and sick time.
- Office closes last week of each year.
- Health insurance coverage, with low employee premium contribution.
- 401(k) with employer match after 9 months of employment.
- Subsidized parking or transportation.
- Monthly reimbursement on data package (home/mobile).
- Lead and contribute to the daily operations of Larta’s brand, marketing & communications efforts to drive recruitment and retention efforts for startup accelerator programs and products, engage Larta’s portfolio of alumni companies, build relationships and engagement across the startup ecosystem, support fundraising, and increase awareness of Larta’s global mission and impact.
- Translate Larta’s mission & narrative to a diverse ecosystem of audience groups including startup founders, government agencies, academia, investors, foundations, mentors, and industry.
- Plan, deploy, and manage a considered marketing pipeline including measurable systems and tactics for recruitment & retention of startups/founders to Larta’s programs and product portfolio.
- Lead a new team of three (Content Lead (writer/designer), Digital Marketing Associate and Events Coordinator). Grow the team’s expertise through servant leadership for their success.
- Lead hands-on planning and execution of all marketing & communications efforts, including:
- Accelerator Programs – cohort-based and customized programs for startups/founders.
- Product & Services – a portfolio of startup support/mentoring for early-stage companies.
- Community Engagement – including government, industry, investors, and alumni.
- Fundraising – collaborate with business development team to support Larta’s growth.
- Content – original videos/podcasts/education/thought-leadership to engage audiences.
- Press & Media – development of public affairs and reputation across communities.
- Communications – targeted campaigns across social media, PR, digital channels.
- Events – demo days, webinars, industry salons, global science & tech showcases.
- Impact Reports – communicating the social impact of Larta and its alumni companies.
- Monitor marketing & communications trends, innovations, and technologies, recommend & implement systems to continuously optimize the impact of Larta’s marketing communications.
- Protect Larta’s new identity, build upon its core purpose & mission, and develop Larta’s global reputation as a non-profit organization serving aspiring, underserved and stand-out startup founders.
- Bachelor’s degree required in marketing, management, or related field. Masters is a plus.
- 7-10 years of professional experience in a creative agency or in-house marketing/brand role.
- Passionate about global cause marketing for a sustainable planet, social impact, and DEI.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate with culturally diverse staff across teams.
- Proven portfolio and demonstrable history of successful program & product marketing.
- Hands-on planning and execution across an integrated mix of communications channels.
- Leadership skills to collaborate with diverse experts across a matrixed non-profit organization.
- Mentoring & servant leadership skills to foster a young small team and grow their success.
- Experience managing external agencies, vendors or direct agency-side experience.
- Experience with new science & technology startups. Non-profit/fundraising experience a plus.
- Strong project management skills and high attention to detail.
Diversity Equity, and Inclusion
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Discrimination Policy aims to ensure that all members of the Larta Institute community – including our staff, startup founders, mentors, government officials, industry executives, investors, speakers, sponsors, donors, advisory board members, and other community members – are treated with dignity and respect in an open culture that is free from harassment, discrimination, violence, and other inappropriate conduct.
Larta Institute is committed to diversity, equitable access, and inclusion.
Salary range: $93,000+ Commensurate with experience, bonus potential
Employment Status: Exempt
How to Apply
Please send a customized cover letter outlining your background and suitability for this position with Larta Institute and a resume highlighting your relevant experience to email@example.com. Please submit with the following subject line: “Application to Larta Institute – Head of BMC”.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.
Seniority Level: Department Head / Leadership Team
- Civic & Social Organization
- Science & Technology Innovation